Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Surprise at the beach

Photo quote for today:
"There is no such a thing as artistic photography. In photography, like in all things, there are people who can see and others who cannot even look."-Nadar

Today started off with a bang! A huge thunderstorm came through the area last night dropping copious amounts of rain, and according to the local news over 3,000 lightning strikes in the first hour. I guess this is why this area is known as the lightning capital of the country. I knew from previous experience that it would make for good shooting at the beach, and in my upcoming posts I'll share some of those panoramic images. The icing on this morning's shoot came as I was leaving, my panoramic images were in the camera, I had also spent some time with the gulls as they played in the rain water that flooded parts of the beach, and was heading to the parking lot when I decided to change my exit route. As I walked back to the beach to choose another point of departure, a pair of Roseate Spoonbills landed directly in front of me and made their way to the same area as the gulls that I had just wrapped-up photographing. Never having had an opportunity to capture any images of these birds I set-up and began shooting. They're considered rare, even in this area, and by the time I left they had started to draw a crowd. Here are some samples from today's work.







7 comments:

John Theberge said...

Choosing a different route paid off. Love the different behaviors. I look forward to seeing your panoramic images.

Pete Woodruff said...

Your Roseate Spoonbills are brilliant as are your images of them.

Many thanks for your support on Birds2blog, it is much appreciated Mike.

Greetings from Lancaster, England.

FAB said...

A chance change of direction provided a series of super images. Well done Mike.

Mike said...

Thank you John, Pete, Frank, and Nora much appreciated.

Julie G. said...

I am in awe of your stunning photographs of the beautiful Roseate Spoonbills! So very lovely. Terrific behavior images, too. Outstanding work!

Nature in the Burbs said...

Great shots. What a find!

Anna Simpson said...

These photographs and fantastic Mike, they're the sort of photographs that stay in your head forever.